How to Get Coffee Out of Carpet
- Apply detergent solution with a damp towel; leave on for 3 to 5 minutes. Blot, don’t rub.
- If stain is removed, finish with a water rinse. Blot, then apply a pad of weighted paper towels. If stain is not removed, continue as follows.
- Apply hydrogen peroxide/ammonia solution; let stand for 2 to 3 hours under a weighted sheet of plastic wrap.
- Repeat application of hydrogen peroxide/ammonia solution and allow to dry under weighted plastic wrap until removal is complete.
- Apply water with damp towel.
- Blot; finish with weighted pad of paper towels.
- To neutralize the area, apply white vinegar only after stain is removed.
Always rinse with water and blot dry as the last procedure.
- Apply – Apply all liquids to a clean white (not printed) towel or paper towel and use to dampen carpet. Never wet a carpet through to the backing.
- Blot – Press straight down with a pad of clean white paper towels – never rub. Rubbing alters carpet texture. Then in a final blotting, leave 1/2″ of paper towels on spot overnight with a weight.
- Rinse – Apply water to a white towel or paper towel; blot, don’t rub.
- Weight – A weight 1/2″ pad of white paper towels, left overnight, will absorb the last traces of liquid and foreign materials. Make sure the weighted object is colorfast and will not bleed onto the carpet.
- Ammonia – Undiluted, clear, not sudsy, household ammonia.
- Detergent – Mix 1/4 teaspoon clear, see-through hand dish-washing detergent with 1 cup warm – not hot – water.
- Hydrogen peroxide/ammonia – Mix 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide (3% solution available in drug stores) with 1 teaspoon undiluted, unscented, clear (not sudsy) household ammonia. Use within 22 hours of mixing.
- White Vinegar – Undiluted, distilled white vinegar.
WE RECOMMEND THE PROCEDURES SPECIFIED IN THIS ARTICLE FOR SHAW FLOORS CARPET MADE WITH Fibers from Shaw Floors. Do not use these procedures sub sequent to, or in combination with, other cleaning procedures or products. Always rinse with plain water to finalize the spot cleaning procedure.
Since research has shown that many products sold for do-it-yourself spot removal clean poorly and their residues rapidly attract soil on the cleaned area afterward, Shaw Floors recommends R2x Stain and Soil remover for optimum spot cleaning. Additional cleaning products in the CRI certification program are listed at www.carpet-rug.org.
These stain removal procedures are for some of the most common household spills. These stain removal and cleaning procedures have been carefully developed for use on Shaw Floors’ carpet made with Shaw Floors’ carpet fibers and may not be appropriate for use on other types of carpet. The stain removal procedures are provided to assist in maintaining your Shaw Floors’ carpet and reflect the best information available. Remember, no carpet is stain proof.
For further information, call the Shaw Toll-free Consumer Information Hotline at (800) 441-7429